Sunday, August 21, 2016

Jimmy Walker Makes The Running With Hot Start In The New Jersey Heat


American Jimmy Walker claimed the lead after the opening round of the US PGA Championship as England's Ross Fisher and Andy Sullivan increased the prospects of a clean sweep for first-time major winners in 2016.

Walker carded six birdies and a solitary bogey in an impressive 65 in sweltering conditions at Baltusrol, with temperatures in the mid 90s forcing tournament officials to water the greens during the afternoon.

Fisher's 66 was his lowest round in any major and left him sharing second place with former champion Martin Kaymer and Argentina's Emiliano Grillo, with Sullivan a shot further back in a group which included Open champion Henrik Stenson.

The last year in which all four majors were claimed by first-time winners was 2011, when Charl Schwartzel won the US Masters, Rory McIlroy the US Open, Darren Clarke the Open and Keegan Bradley the US PGA. So far this season, Danny Willett, Dustin Johnson and Stenson have claimed the game's biggest titles.

Walker, who won five times between October 2013 and March 2015 but has struggled to reproduce such form this season, said: “It's just been real stale and stagnant this year. I haven't been making the 15, 18-footers you need to make to start running up the leaderboard and to have high finishes.

“Winning a major would be huge but there are three days to go.”

Kaymer's 66 was the best score of the afternoon starters as the wind picked up ahead of possible thunderstorms, the former world number one carding five birdies and a single bogey.

“I've been working hard because I wanted to have a good summer and slowly it's paying off,” said Kaymer, who has not won since leading from start to finish in the Players Championship and US Open in 2014.

“The results have been okay but we all want that win and hopefully it can still happen.”


Fisher, whose sole top-10 finish in a major to date came in the 2009 US Open, said: “Everyone is striving to become a major champion and I'm no different. I'm coming here believing my game is good enough to win.

“I've got off to a great start, but I'm not going to sit back on that. There's still a long, long way to go but this is where you want to be. I missed the Masters and the US Open this year. I got to experience the Open, but only for two days.”

Sullivan has finished 12th, sixth and fifth in his last three events and completed his 67 with three birdies in the last four holes.

“I'm buzzing with that start,” the former supermarket worker from Nuneaton said. “I've been playing really well leading up to the tournament, so it's just nice to keep the form and momentum going.

“It was a bit of a struggle at times in the heat, especially down the stretch there, so I'm happy to get finished and enjoy some nice air conditioning.

“It was seriously hot and humid even first thing this morning, so I was seriously melting out there. But I'd take this over the cold and wet we had at the Open any day, so I won't complain.”

Defending champion Jason Day was three shots off the lead after returning a 68 despite having just one practice round, but playing partner Rory McIlroy struggled to a 74 which included 35 putts and returned to the course at 6.15pm for practice under the watchful eye of coach Michael Bannon.

The final member of the marquee group, Open runner-up Phil Mickelson, recovered from four over par after 11 holes with three late birdies to return a 71, but US Open champion Dustin Johnson struggled to a 77.

“I was excited to play and compete again and not have to have a month off for preparation,” said Mickelson, who won his second major title the last time Baltusrol staged the US PGA in 2005. “Unfortunately, I don't do well not playing the week before and you kind of saw it today. I hit terrible shots the first 11 holes.

“The game has been very easy and the first 11 holes was very hard. I played really well the last seven holes to get back in it and I'm pleased with that.”

Masters champion Danny Willett finished one over par, a shot behind two-time major winner Jordan Spieth. England's Andrew Johnston, who has become a cult figure better known by his nickname 'Beef,' also shot 70.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Danny Sutcliffe quits Dubs panel as axed Simon Lambert hits out at Cunningham 'disrespect'


As reported in yesterday's Irish Independent, 2013 All-Star Sutcliffe will not be available for selection in a major setback to Dublin's 2016 title aspirations.

Despite making the trip to Boston for the Fenway Classic last month, Sutcliffe (23) was not in attendance at a players' meeting last night, having told Cunningham of his wish to leave the squad last weekend.

Lambert was informed he was surplus to requirements last week, along with goalkeeper Alan Nolan, and he voiced his frustration over Cunningham's decision.

"I'm disappointed to be left out, considering that I've been involved for the last eight years," the versatile Lambert said last night. "I came back from a career-threatening injury in 2013, missed all of 2014 and worked myself back into contention, starting both of the Galway games this year.

"The reasons given to me were, in my opinion, disrespectful from where I've come from. But look, I'm 27 and young enough still to potentially offer a lot to the team in the near future."

Nolan (30) made the goalkeeper's spot his own in 2014 after years in the shadow of Gary Maguire and was nominated for an All-Star following a string of excellent performances.

The St Brigid's man fell out of favour this year after conceding five goals against Galway in the Leinster quarter-final replay, and his inter-county career looks likely to end on a sour note, having been suspended for his part in the Boston brawl with Galway.

Elsewhere, Dublin chief executive John Costello has taken issue with the 'Scrooge-like' approach adopted by Croke Park with the amount of additional grant money being given to Dublin and Mayo after this year's All-Ireland semi-final replay.

Noting in his annual report that they were only given an additional ¤15,000 for contesting the replay, Costello pointed out that participants in the trio of All-Ireland hurling finals got ¤50,000. He added that half that amount was then taken off his board when the county's hurlers were fined for their involvement in the Fenway Classic brawl.

He said Dublin don't feel "a sense of entitlement" but they are aware that their commercial value to central coffers "exceeds any other county by a stretch".

"It would appear Charles Dickens' Ebenezer Scrooge has taken up residence off Jones' Road this festive season!" he suggested.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Aggression paying off for Tour hopeful Kilpatrick

The Banbridge man (33) has been a professional for seven years and while he’s dividing his time between the horses and cows on his parents’ farm, the third-tier Europro Tour and the PGA Irish circuit, he’s hoping to grab his chance with both hands in this Challenge Tour event at Mount Wolseley this week and gallop to victory.

In a four-way tie for second, two shots behind leader Robert Coles of England, the former East of Ireland winner refuses to give up on his Tour dream despite years of struggles.

“The Europro depressed me a wee bit last year,” said Kilpatrick, who is through to next month’s second stage of the European Tour Qualifying School. “Finishing seventh in a field of 120 and clearing a hundred quid is hard to take.

“But I believe I am still good enough to make it and I still enjoy it so I am playing just the Europro events I like this year and the big Pro-Ams on the Irish circuit.

“I have joined the PGA so I can start my PGA qualifications at Banbridge next year and fast-track it over two years because I have a degree.

“A week like this is win or bust for me so I will be more aggressive than the other guys and see what happens. And I love the course – I was seventh here when they had the Europro Tour event last year.”

Leader Coles (43), who won the last edition of the Irish Challenge held at Moyvalley six years ago, made eight birdies in a seven-under 65 to lead by two strokes from Kilpatrick, Welshman Stuart Manley, British Amateur champion Romain Langasque of France and American Daniel Im.

Rory McNamara, Simon Thornton, Alan Dunbar, Michael McGeady and Walker Cup player Gavin Moynihan signed for three-under 69s worth a share of 16th and Chris Selfridge and Ruaidhri McGee posted 70s, but Walker Cup players Jack Hume, Cormac Sharvin and Gary Hurley all had mixed days.

Amateurs Hume (72) and Sharvin (75) are not under pressure to perform but Maynooth University’s Gary Hurley simply ran out of gas after his professional debut in the Alfred Dunhill Links last week and posted a seven-over 79.

As for leader Coles, he reckons his good form in Ireland might have something to do with his Irish roots.

“My mother is from Cork and I have a Corkman caddying for me this week,” he said with a grin. “I am quite proud of my Irish roots. My mum lives in west Cork and all of my in-laws are Irish. “And I’m married to a girl called Sinéad too so there’s a strong connection there. I am proud of that!”

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Versatile Brady happy to break scoring duck for Norwich


Brady's early goal at Upton Park wasn't enough for the Canaries to register a crucial victory as West Ham United twice battled back to claim a 2-2 draw but Martin O'Neill's first-choice left-back enjoyed resuming the position which first brought him acclaim.

The Dubliner was still attempting to break into Manchester United's first team when he became the record scorer for Ireland's U-21s in 2012 and, despite both Norwich and Ireland now deploying him in defensive roles, his goalscoring threat for both teams was evidenced by his instinctive finish against the Hammers.

"Growing up, I'd always been an attacking-minded player so the opportunity to play up there on Saturday was good," said the 23-year-old, a year on from his last Premier League goal, then as a Hull City player.

"It's been a while since I played high up the pitch. When the ball was played across at the back, I saw the defender wasn't getting there, and managed to get onto it and put it away.

Sloppy

"The frustrating thing was not holding on for the three points. We got sloppy in our play towards the end, West Ham brought on some of their big lads, and the late equaliser came.

"Still, it's a good away point and keeps us with a decent start to the season for us."

Elsewhere on the penultimate weekend of fixtures before Ireland assemble for the concluding Euro 2016 qualifiers against Germany and Poland, Jon Walters collected his third goal of the season.

The striker opened the scoring in Stoke City's 2-1 win over Bournemouth, another illustration of his worth to a club unwilling to meet his contract demands as his current deal nears expiration.

Marc Wilson's absence from the Potters squad due to a calf strain may represent a concern for O'Neill, especially as the man who recently displaced him at centre-back in the Ireland team, Ciaran Clark, hasn't kicked a ball in the Premier League since returning to Aston Villa from international duty.

The saga surrounding the allegiance of Clark's clubmate Jack Grealish continues following a report yesterday that the Ireland U-21 winger has chosen to switch to England. An update on the tug-of-war is expected on Thursday when Roy Hodgson names his squad for the final qualifiers against Estonia and Lithuania.

In the Championship, Joe Mason - watched lately by O'Neill yet not deemed worthy of inclusion in his bloated 40-man squad - scored for the fourth time this season in Cardiff City's 2-1 win over Charlton.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Swimming: Franklin, Seebohm to renew rivalry here


Just weeks after watching the sport's future stars grace the OCBC Aquatic Centre, Singapore swimming fans will get to watch the real deals in action when the country stages next month's Fina Swimming World Cup.

The Straits Times understands that American four-time Olympic gold medallist Missy Franklin, Australian world champion Emily Seebohm and Hungarian world record holder Katinka Hosszu are among a host of big names who have signed up for the Oct 3- 4 event.

Typically a short-course (25m) meet, the eight-legged World Cup series has adopted a long-course (50m) format this year to act as an Olympic qualifier, as well as to increase the participation of the national federations.

Ang Peng Wee, chairman of the Singapore leg's organising committee, said: "We are excited to announce a star-studded cast at the Fina/airweave Swimming World Cup Singapore 2015 presented by Yakult.

"With world-class swimmers in the line-up... the two-day meet promises to present exhilarating, elite, race action."

Hosszu is a regular face at the Singapore leg, having competed here since 2012.

But it will be the first time that Singaporean fans can catch two-time Fina Swimmer of the Year (female) Franklin, 20, race in the World Cup.

The California-born swimmer made waves at the London Olympics in 2012.

Then 17 years old, she won four golds, including the 200m backstroke title in a world record of 2min 4.06sec.

The mark still stands.

The following year, she stole the show at the World Championships.

She became the first woman to win six golds (three individual, three relays).

Franklin is set for an intriguing backstroke showdown with Seebohm, 23. At last month's World Championships in Kazan, Russia, the Australian dethroned the American in the 100m and 200m back, firing an opening salvo ahead of next year's Olympics.

Seebohm, Franklin and Hosszu finished first, second and third in the 200m back in Kazan.

Hosszu, 26, is also entering top form. She broke Ariana Kukors' six-year-old world 200 metres individual medleyrecord in Kazan, an impressive feat given that Kukors' mark was set in the era of the now-banned rubber suits.

Singapore swimmer Hannah Quek, 15, who had competed at last month's Fina World Youth Championships, said she is looking forward to the 200m back race.

A backstroke specialist, she said: "It is a great opportunity for backstroke swimmers like myself to pick up a few pointers.

"I am sure it will be a very close and tight race and I think this could possibly be the best race we've ever had in Singapore."